CHICKEN OF THE WOODS
- Liquid Culture
My Fungi Recipe – Fried Chicken (of the Woods)
– 8 oz Chicken of the Woods mushroom cut into medium pieces
– 1 c all-purpose flour
– Kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
– ½ tsp paprika
– ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
– 3 eggs
– 3 crushed cloves of garlic
– ¼ c cooking oil
– 2 tbsp unsalted butter
– Sprigs of thyme (optional)
1. Wash and dry your mushrooms well. This will help seasonings adhere to the mushrooms.
2. Whisk together the flour, a pinch of salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Set aside.
3. Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl and set aside.
4. Coat the mushrooms first with the flour mixture, then the egg, then in the flour again.
5. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Heat the oil and melt the butter before adding garlic and thyme. Cook until fragrant.
6. Cook the mushrooms on each side for 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
7. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. Sprinkle with salt and ENJOY!